Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Couch to 5K: Day 17

Accountability time: I only ran twice last week. I posted last Tuesday and ran again on Thursday (to great results). The weekend found me completely out of energy. Rather than go running, which would have corrected that problem, I succumbed to excuse making and stayed home.

Sunday night, I did some soul searching and am now in the process of simplifying what I can. The blog is staying. Feel free to cheer with delight or sob in relief.

Today was the day I ramped things up and started running for 1 minute and walking for 1 minute. I'm still restricted to 15 minutes total as my ankles continue to improve. I look at 1 minute/1 minute and it seems like such a small thing. Not for non-runner Sarah.

I think each step up my incremental couch to 5K journey will be the same. I started with the 1 minute walk, counting the seconds until I would have to commit myself to a full 60 seconds of running. Once I got into the 50s, I experienced the same feeling of terror I feel when a roller coaster car is almost to top of its dizzying incline and will be descending in mere seconds.

What am I doing here? Why am I doing this? Am I CRAZY?!

I'm happy to report that the minute wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.  In fact, it was only my last minute run that was even a little bit challenging.  I'm huffing and puffing, sure.  My muscles are burning, sure.  But it doesn't feel impossible anymore.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

so proud of you!! keep it up. I wish my knees were healthy enough to run because if they were I would be running everyday.