Thursday, February 4, 2010

Stupid Product: Chia Obama

It's February, and that means it's officially Black History Month.  How well I remember my third grade report on Harriet Tubman and her courageous journeys through the Underground Railroad to free slaves.  In Black History Months to come, young children will be writing their biographies of our current president and the difference he made in the world.

Obama: the man, the policy, the change, the Chia.

When I found Chia Obama last night, I immediately turned my laptop toward my husband to share in my discovery.  His reaction consisted of a head shake and an exclamation of, "Oh dear...oh dear, oh dear."

Chia Obama, you've made my husband sound like Piglet.  You're fired.

According to the website, this Chia head is supposed to look like President Obama.  I don't see the resemblence.  For one thing, President Obama's hair has always been neatly trimmed.  This head is a few days' growth away from superfly.  Also, the face looks nothing like Barack Obama's.  That's kind of a dealbreaker for me.

According to the website, this is a decorative item.  I don't see the decorative value, either.  Maybe I'm missing a crucial component of the interior design gene, but I've never considered a Chia head as a must-have in home decor.  I don't have a singing fish or a velvet Elvis either.  Call me crazy.

What I do see is a desperate attempt to cash in on the popularity (well, the pre-Massechusetts election popularity) of America's first black president by any means necessary.  I'm sure if I searched further, I'd find all sorts of silly Obama merchandise. 

Of course, you know just writing that made me have to do it.  The world has gone Obama crazy.  There's the Obama Necktie! Obama boxer shorts! Obama toilet paper! Obama bling!  Holy moly and a happy Black History Month to all of you.

I'd better not show this to Piglet...I mean, Richard.

0 comments: