Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Stupid Product: Huggies Jeans Diapers

I saw today's Stupid Product about a week ago at the grocery store and all I could do was sigh and take a picture. I had thought Huggies Jeans Diapers would only warrant a "What I Learned Today" post until Mother Load reader Renee P. of Wichita Falls, TX, alerted me to the existence of this commercial.



*Sigh*

Really, Huggies? REALLY? Did you really just say the coolest you'll look POOPING YOUR PANTS in your commercial?! REALLY?

Breathe, Sarah. Breathe.

Okay, the only good thing this product has going for it is the fact that it's only going to be inflicted on the public for the duration of the summer. Also? I don't have TV, so I don't have to watch this commercial during that time. You guys aren't so lucky. I'm very sorry for you.

Speaking of the commercial, am I the only one who heard something other than "full of chic" the first time I saw this? Was this intentional on the company's part, do you think, or did I just spend too many years working with foul mouthed teens? I don't know. When you hear a baby say his diaper is full..full of ____ and the next syllable has a "sh" sound, your mind kind of goes there. Poo on you for that, Huggies.

But let's not confine our criticism to that monstrosity of a commercial. Let's look at the product itself. Its limited edition status combined with its ridiculousness put Huggies Jeans Diapers firmly into the novelty product category. This is a joke diaper. It's meant to make people look at a baby and laugh. Any coolness gained from wearing it is only implied by the makers to make it seem like they're not laughing at the parents who buy these, which they seriously are.

I've heard it doesn't cost any more than regular Huggies diapers, so that's a plus, I guess. If the people at Huggies expected moms to pay more for a diaper this pointless, they'd be getting more than a Stupid Product review from me.

A final note: Babies don't care. No, really, they don't. If you dress your infant in diapers that look like jeans, your child will not feel cool or hip or more chic (shudder) than any other baby. If you take pictures, maybe this child will feel cool later in life when he learns his mom dressed him this way, but I'm guessing not. If you think these diapers are cool, then by all means, race out to the store and stock up before they're gone. Just don't do it under the delusion that your cooing, spitting, pooping infant cares where his poop lands.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to find a way to choke down a bowl of chocolate cream of wheat after writing this post.

Thanks, Huggies. You've ruined my favorite breakfast. REALLY!

Breathe, Sarah. Breathe.

(Thanks to Renee P. for the heads up on the commercial for this product. I'll forgive you for making me watch it as soon as I wash my eyes out with soap.)

2 comments:

Malisa said...

That can't be. It just can't be.

Sketchbox said...

Not only CAN it be, BUTT it is! I wonder how my little boy, who is a poopad connoisseur, will score with the hot ladies in the neighborhood, because we're going to run out and buy us a box RIGHT NOW. That was hilarious! We'll send you one with a Baby Ruth inside, or will it be that delicious?