Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Look at My Dinner! Low Carb, Homemade Pizza

Photobucket

Like most American families, pizza is a favorite in our house.  But with my need to eat a diet lower in carbs in order to control my PCOS, it's not really the best option.  What's a pizza loving girl to do?  See above...and below.

This low carb pizza alternative is the new favorite of ours.  The crust of the pizza is the most important difference.  We use low carb wraps instead of making a thicker crust ourselves.  This also makes the pizza super easy and fast to cook, and that, readers, is pretty cool.

Any variety of low carb, high fiber wrap will do for this recipe.  We use the Flatout Light Italian Herb Wraps we find in the bakery section of our local Wal Mart. (Yes, I know I said Wal Mart.  I hated them, and then they decided to make a commitment to stocking healthier food, so we have a truce for now.)

Each person in the family gets a wrap on which to create their perfect pizza.  Because pre-made spaghetti and pizza sauces have high fructose corn syrup in them, and because I don't believe for a second what the condescending new ads about this stuff say, I choose to make my own sauce for the pizzas.  I keep it simple.  For a family my size, I use one 8 ounce can of tomato sauce and one 6 ounce can of tomato paste.  I add garlic, oregano, basil, rosemary, and marjoram and heat it up in a skillet until it's bubbly and tastes just right.

The pizza you see above has turkey pepperoni, Canadian bacon, fresh tomatoes, fresh onions, and fresh spinach for toppings.  The cheese is part skim mozzarella, and you can see I've used a lot less than my local pizza place would.  I like to sprinkle a little oregano and basil on before I bake mine.  It gives it a little extra kick. 

We bake these at 400°F for 10 minutes.  Since there are a few of us here, this takes two pans, so I make sure to open the oven at the five minute mark and switch the pans, so neither of them has to spend the entire time close to the heat.  The pizzas come out crispy and delicious every time, and we get to indulge without the worry of unhealthy eating.

1 comments:

~V~ said...

That looks fantastic! MMMMM